Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Importance of Little Gifts

I recently came across an article in the Lebanon Daily News discussing the sudden appearance of gift wrapped presents in a neighborhood in Spring Garden Township. According to the article, the police believe that the gifts were left behind by a group of people who are trying to start a neighborhood association. Some of the gifts included a bungee cord, pencils, children's clay, a plastic dog bone, a paint brush, and beer. One neighborhood resident commented, "I think that we have forgot about little gifts and how important little gifts are." I love this story because it shows how small meaningful gifts were used to create goodwill in the neighborhood. I'm sure these small thoughtful gifts were very appreciated by the residents. These days when buying gifts we tend to purchase the biggest, shiniest, most expensive, newest, or trendiest gift. We seem to have forgotten that small gifts can give a recipient just as much or more joy. A few years ago I received a notepad and pen set from a friend. It wasn't the largest gift or probably the most expensive, but it was one of the most thoughtful gifts I've received. Primarily because my friend purchased the set in pink, one of my favorite colors, and had the notecards engraved with my name. My face lit up when I opened the gift. My friend took the time to add little touches to the gift she knew I would appreciate. And I did. The next time you have to purchase a gift take a moment to think about the small things you could do or purchase that will really mean alot to the recipient. Think about the recipient's favorite color. Is there a favorite item the recipient lost that you could replace? Can you provide assistance or a service that would make the recipient's life easier? Remember you don't always have to spend a lot of money on a gift. The most appreciated gifts are usually the small thoughtful ones. What small gift have you received that meant more to you than the larger more expensive gifts you've received?

No comments:

Post a Comment