Wednesday, August 20, 2008

My visit to the New York International Gift Fair

Yesterday I attended the New York International Gift Fair. This is my first year attending the fair so I really didn't know what to expect. I have to say I was blown away by the variety of products. I'm in the midst of planning the launch of an online retail store, so I wanted to get an idea of what's out there to determine what types of items my store will stock. I saw some great products and I'm looking forward to getting my store up and running. One note of advice to first time attendees - wear comfortable shoes. I wore flats which were comfortable for the first 30 minutes, but, by the end of the day my feet were SCREAMING. I also probably shouldn't have tried to see everything in one day. Next year I'll spread my visit over two days. All in all it was a cool experience and I'm excited for next year's gift fair. Here are a few items that stood out to me.


BloemBox


(courtesy of bloembox)


My eyes were immediately drawn to the Bloembox booth. The gorgeous packaging holds a really great gift idea for the flower loving apartment dweller. Each box contains a pot with saucer and a bulb. You can purchase a set of 6 for $222 at www.bloembox.com.


Music Cooks by Menus and Music


(courtesy of Music and Menu)


MusicCooks is the perfect gift for food and music lovers. Each box contains 16 washable recipe cards that feature food photos, cook's tips, and shopping lists. The box also contains a CD compiled with songs that complement the theme of the box. For example, the Pleasures of the Caribbean box contains recipes for Caribbean dishes and cocktails and the enclosed CD contains reggae and calypso songs. Purchase it at Menus and Music for $22.

Transport by Setgogear


(courtesy of trendhunter magazine)

The transport is a really cool gift for the urban guy. This lightweight non bulky alternative to the messenger bag has two front pockets that can be used for a cellphone, ipod, or blackberry. And, there is also a zip pocket that is perfect for storing money. The back has a large zip up that can be used to store magazines. Purchase it at Setgo for $80.00.

No comments:

Post a Comment