Monday, March 12, 2007

GiftRx - Dose 3 - Keep Track of Gift Ideas

This may sound a little weird but I'm always thinking about gifts. If you were to take a peek at my email inbox or my PDA, you'll find a gift list for everyone I expect to buy a gift for. I even have a file folder where I store print-outs of products I've seen on the Internet and magazine tear-outs of cool products. I gather gift ideas throughout the year because I want to avoid last minute gift shopping. When its time for me to buy a gift for someone, I can always refer to the lists I've made and files I've created throughout the year. I almost immediately know what gift I'm going to get that person. This technique promotes efficient and stress-free gift shopping.

I know most people will not be able to make lists and keep files of magazine tear-outs and Internet print-outs. It's definitely something that takes a bit of thought and a little effort. However, if you find that you are one of those harried, last-minute gift shoppers, a modified version of my technique might work wonders for you.

Since most of us sit in front of a PC all day and periodically browse the Internet, I think the easiest way to keep track of gift ideas is to create a general folder labeled Gift Ideas in your email account. If you are really organized you can create several folders and label each folder according to gift recipient. For example, one folder would be labeled, Gift Ideas for Mom, and another folder would be labeled, Gifts for Dad, and so on. Anytime you come across something on the Internet you think a recipient might like, forward the link or page to your email address and file in the appropriate folder. If you've created one general gift ideas folder, make sure to note the recipient and the occasion in the subject line before filing in the folder. A week or two prior to any occasion that requires a gift, go to the appropriate gift ideas folder and pick a gift from the folder. This should alleviate some of the stress of having to find a gift. If you find this technique helpful and easy to do, later you can try creating a file folder where you can store magazine tear-outs and Internet print-outs.

No comments:

Post a Comment