Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Lois Loves - Doulas for Expecting or New Mothers

I recently had a conversation with someone about new trends in childbirth and parenting. During the conversation, she mentioned that she was interested in becoming a Doula. I had never heard this term and when I asked her to explain what a Doula is, she referred me to Dona International. After doing some research, I learned that there are three types of Doulas; the Birth or Labor Doula, the Antepartum Doula and the Postpartum Doula.

"A birth doula is a person trained and experienced in childbirth who provides continuous physical, emotional and informational support to the mother before, during and just after childbirth."
Dona FAQ Birth.

"Antepartum Doulas provide help and support to a mom who has been put on bed rest or is experiencing a high risk pregnancy. They provide informational, emotional, physical and practical support in a situation that is often stressful, confusing and emotionally draining."
American Pregnancy Association.

"Postpartum Doulas are there to support you in your first weeks of being a mom. They provide informational support about feeding and caring for the baby. They provide physical support by cleaning, cooking meals and filling in when mom needs a break, and they provide emotional support by encouraging a mom during those times when she feels overwhelmed."
American Pregnancy Association.

After learning more about Doulas, it struck me that a Doula would be a wonderful gift for an expecting or new mother. Childbirth can be such a stressful time and a Doula could help provide extra emotional and physical support to an expecting or new mother. Visit Dona International and American Pregnancy Association to learn more about the benefits of having a Doula. If you know a new or expecting mother and think this is a gift they might appreciate, go to
Dona International or American Pregnancy Association to find a Doula near you. Some Doulas even offer gift certificates for their services. This is a gift that would certainly always be remembered.

4 comments:

  1. Very interesting. Your ideas are so unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of giving an expecting mother a gift certificate to a doula! Its different but its also useful (which is what I love my gifts to be).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Anonymous,

    I'm glad you are enjoying my ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kimiko,

    Don't you just love a gift that you can get great use out of? I certainly would appreciate a Doula when I'm a new or expecting mother.

    ReplyDelete